Rock your Hip Hop with…

EASY WAY OUT

Easy Way Out has broken up.

Friday, March 7, 2008

Step over to the Dub side... with Street 66

Street 66, one of my personal favorite Toronto acts has been on the scene since 2006. Crafting their own groove plated Dub-Raggae-Rock fusion, they've managed to develop a slick style that reminds me of a the Slackers, Sublime, then splatter that with a bit of hip hop here and there and tight pockets of jazz and soul.
Seeing Street 66 live is a trip. The lead vocalist and I imagine, main contributor, goes by the name of Step. A dredlocked archetype of charisma and melody, it almost seems as if he's something of a conductor guiding his rag tag band of indie misfits through the show until the final note is played. As an audience member you'll be mesmerized as Street 66 take you through tales of travel, love lost, booze binging and that sweet sweet sensemilia. I defy anyone to stand still during their set.

The album really translates their live show well. I was floored when after a show that my band, Easy Way Out, played with them, I realized they had left a stack of their albums out for anyone to just take home for free. I was on my way to buying one of these albums at full price when I found my free copy. The album, from beginning to end, is filled with consistent quality tracks that are very difficult to separate from one another. What I mean is that you can't just simply play one, you most definitely have to listen to hand full of tracks to be properly satisfied. Kinda kills the random setting on my IPod. But that is definitely a good thing.

The final note I want to make about Street 66 is about their professionalism. Finally a band that understands the importance of the show as a whole. Where the other acts on the show that night pretty much left after their set was done (and took their fans with them), Street 66 made it a point to sit through every act. Considering they we're on at 8:30, that's a fairly big commitment to supporting the event as a whole.

Having said that, Easy Way Out has begun a working relationship with Street 66 and looks forward to playing with them again and again.

You can catch Street 66 with Easy Way Out live at Clinton's Tavern Friday March 28, 2008. They'll be on at 12:00, so stick around for their set, this is an act you owe it to yourself to see.

Check out Street 66 online at www.myspace.com/street66music

No comments: