Rock your Hip Hop with…

EASY WAY OUT

Easy Way Out has broken up.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An Interview with... Evelyn Falls guitarist Mike Matwijiw

How did Evelyn Falls meet / come together?

The thought of Evelyn Falls began in the fall of 2006. At a Breaking Benjamin show, at Harpos, in Detroit Michigan I bumped into one of a singer that I jammed with in high school, Jay Seiben. We caught up and exchanged numbers. I had already decided I was forming another band and pretty much demanded that he call me. The two of us started auditioning for bass and drums. We jammed with a few people but it just wasn't working out and then out of nowhere I got a phone call from Brett Sobocan (Bass). His aunt saw an add that I had put out at a local music store and gave him the number! He called, we met and I "knew" that he was the guy! Then came the daunting task of finding a drummer. Brett, Jay and I were recording some tunes when I went into the washroom and dropped my phone in the toilet. The next day, I had to buy a new phone and all my numbers were gone from the sim card except one...which was Brittany who just happened to be a drummer. I gave her a call! It wasn't too long after that she was in the band. We had our first show at the Chubby Pickle in Windsor and enjoyed a pretty fruitful 2nd half of 2007 together! It all led up to our big NYE show with Ashes of Soma where Jay and the rest of the band had a fallout! Jay was replaced in early January by Matt Tourangeau (formerly of Bitter Green). We also very recently decided to replace Brittany with Mark St.Denis who came from Bitter Green as well!

... Man I ain't no stranger to fall outs and band blow-ups...
How is the group dynamic evolving with the new members?

The group is stronger and tighter than ever now! Both personally and musically! We are all very passionate about what we do and we all have a lot respect for what each and every one of us brings to the table! We just played our first gig with the new lineup at Venues in Windsor on March 22nd and it went over really well! It was an awesome show and our fans were very impressed and happy about the recent change-ups! It definitely feels like a "real band" now! At earlier shows, I always got butterflies... mainly because I didn't know when we might fall down the stairs. With Mark on drums everything has just become so much easier! The songs have a groove now and we are all having SO much fun! Matt is a great frontman and his passion and love for music is contagious! We are very excited about coming up to Toronto, it's gonna be a great night for all!

What type of shenanigans should an audience member expect to see at a typical Evelyn Falls show?

Well, we are just getting the new band off the ground. We are all just starting to get to know each other. Matt is a very animated. Mark hits hard and plays with a lot of enthusiasm! I'm always doing something bizarre and Brett is the mellow one. This is something that, with only one show under our belt, we are still gelling. The songs are good and the energy is definitely there, it'll be interesting to see where it all goes.

Any plans to take the new lineup into the studio, and if so, when can we expect a release?

We are definitely planning on entering the studio!! I generally record all of our demos at home, but we want a pro-level recording and I don't want all of that on my head anyway! We are thinking of SLR in Windsor. They've done some pretty stellar recordings that are getting radio play and the fact that it's right here in our home town makes it a no brainer to me. We are just going to write as many good songs as we can and select what we and our fans think are the best tunes, and then track them. Then hopefully get some radio play! I have no idea what our target area for a release is but I can definitely see us in the studio within the next few months!

Can you describe the methodology you subscribe to when songwriting for our readers?

I generally write riffs by feel...I do NOT follow popular chord progressions! When it comes out of me, it comes out! I find that way a much more authentic way to write than just following formulas! Once I have a riff, then I start humming along vocals and find the right notes/changes and words start to pop in my head. I'll end up getting a couple of lines, then I get a feel of what the song is about, then it snowballs! The songs write themselves! It comes from somewhere...but I'm not exactly sure where THAT is.

Name your top 5 influences


To name just 5 would definitely be doing an injustice to many. My favourite front men are...Freddy Mercury, Rob Halford and Paul Stanley! As for guitar..I grew up playing a lot of Metallica and Ozzy! I'm also a huge fan of grunge! I like a filthy guitar sound that still retains clarity....it just has a dynamic or personality to it that I find captivating! It's like beauty meeting ferocity!

Describe, in brief detail, the ultimate setting for listening to your tunes.


I think the ultimate setting for our tunes would be around the camp fire while camping with close friends and family, drinking and reflecting on life. Star gazing together while getting a little messed up. Losing yourself in those moments and the songs...it's the ultimate environment! I've been there on countless occassions.

Find out more about Evelyn Falls at www.myspace.com/evelynfalls

Catch Evelyn Falls Friday March 28th at Clinton's Tavern (693 Bloor St. E.) in Toronto with Easy Way Out, Street 66 and ADA .


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.