Rock your Hip Hop with…

EASY WAY OUT

Easy Way Out has broken up.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Drugs, Alcohol & the Stage

For many many years I was under the mistaken impression that alcohol and weed amplified creativity. I don't think I was ever alone in such a deluded dream of a thought process. Perhaps there's a quarter ounce of truth in that loosening up a little will always allow you to act and react with a little more freedom. But once you pass that initial low level flight, a subtle floating inebriation, you risk crippling active creation, retarding reaction, impeding progression and just plain forgetting parts and playing like total horse shit. I've played and sung like complete ogre puke on stage... no joke... I've given performances that, quite frankly, blew dogs for quarters. Never again.

I know, I know, there are plenty of exceptions to the rule. Some musicians are simply cut from a bolt of cloth whereby performing under the influence has not only seemed to improve their already genius quality but also secured their throne in the kingdom of rock... yeah... I'm not that guy. If you're that guy, then I hope you enjoy a wonderful career long after you've died at the ripe age of 27 by overdose, heart attack, self inflicted gun shot wound to the face or choking on your own vomit. (Robert Johnson, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Kurt Cobain)

Don't get me wrong. I am no advocate for straight edge living, nor am I a promoter of anti-intoxicant propaganda. Many of Easy Way Out's lyrics deal with contra-ban and hooch . These tales are certainly fueled by true events from our day to day lives. (I love beer... I mean I looooove beer) But there is a time and a place as well as a level of respect that must be subscribed to when feeding your mind these little slices of altered states. The older I get, the less likely will show and stage be the time and place. Every day ingestion is definitely no longer an option.

The truth is, I want our shows to maintain a long lasting impression with our audience. The most proficient method of achieving this is through a consistent structured rehearsal schedule and strong work ethic. This is my commitment to the craft.

But I'll still meet you after the show for five or six pints, I promise.

No comments: